Published 3:54pm on 16 Feb 2021
The Viridian Junior Sailing Program is a non-profit youth sailing education and racing team associated with the Viridian Sailing Center. We provide affordable access to youth sailing within our community and the surrounding area. Our mission is to instill the love of sailing as a life-long sport through the development of perseverance, determination, ethical behavior, leadership, and sportsmanship. Our sailors have the opportunity to participate in weekly practices, a club racing series, and travel to local racing events.
- Develop self-confidence, interpersonal skills, and respect for others
- Learn and practice good safety skills and seamanship
- Develop and refine boat-handling skills and learn the rules of sailing
- Exhibit a sense of leadership, responsibility, and self-reliance
- Make lifelong friends
- Have fun and participate in a positive and productive environment (whether in drills, races, or sailing adventures)
The Viridian Youth Sailing Program is a volunteer-led youth sports program that participates in the Texas Sailing Association's Youth Circuit. The program is open to all youth sailors ages 8-15 (max. 125 lbs.) who have participated in a youth sailing camp and have demonstrated the minimum sailing abilities to be safe on the water.
A variety of sailing camps are offered at Viridian, including weeklong introductory camps and two-week racing camps. Private sailing lessons are also available. Sailing Center staff instructors and program volunteers are properly trained with US Sailing standards and have undergone multiple hours of classroom and on-water sailing education instruction, boater safety, and first aid/CPR training.
After a sailor has learned the necessary basic sailing skills, he or she can join the Youth Sailing Team and participate in weekly scheduled practices, race for the club championship, and travel with the team to local TSA sailing events.
Our sailors are categorized based on sailing experience and abilities, and safety is the number one priority.
- Red Level Sailors New sailors who have basic sailing experience. These sailors are only allowed on the water with a coach present and on the water with the sailor.
- Yellow Level Sailors Intermediate sailors who demonstrate a higher level of competency in the boat. These sailors are allowed on the water when a supervisory adult is nearby and on the water. A supervisory adult can be a parent or a coach.
- Green Level Sailors Experienced and responsible sailors. These sailors are allowed on the water with someone supervising from the dock. Parents, coaches, and dock staff can supervise. A parent must be present and actively supervise any children 12 years old and under.
Our sailing center offers one of the largest and newest fleets of Opti boats in the DFW area. In addition to the Youth Sailing Program, we offer individual and family annual passes so you can enjoy all the amenities of our sailing center. Our floating dock offers access to a wide range of watersport and social opportunities, including three other types of sailboats, kayaks, paddle boards and peddle boards. After a fun day of sailing or racing, you can enjoy the sunset while relaxing around the firepit, exchanging stories with other passholders and staff.